Wednesday 2 March 2016

Another storage solution saves the day!

I mentioned in my last post that my business venture has taken up a lot of the living space in my apartment.  Moving isn't an option at the moment so once again, I found myself improvising to create the equivalent of a spare room.  

With a little research for inspiration, a tape measure and a visit to the local Ikea store, I bought the furniture I would use if I did have a spare bedroom with a view to reconfiguring them using my Lego skills.  The furniture pieces needed were:
  • Two bookcases creating 16 cubby spaces
  • Two chest of draws providing 9 draws in total
  • My existing bed - dismantled with the slats and structural beams kept for reuse 

It took me a full day to put together the flat packs and I spent the second day dismantling my bed and moving furniture around.     


As well as the storage gained via the draws and cubby spaces, the middle space is perfect for storing bulky items like my camping equipment, so I ended up with more space than just that provided by the furniture alone.  

The next stage was to secure the structural elements of the bed base to the top of the bookcases and smaller cabinet before securing the slats to the base. The final chest of draws was then placed at the base of my bed.  This piece isn't secured to the bookcases, leaving it mobile enough for me to drag out and get to the middle section as and when required.


The final step: putting the mattress in place and making the bed!  The result is a great storage space which takes no more space than my original bed.  And best of all - it's comfy too :-)



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Enchanted Nymph Ltd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig