Sunday 20 March 2016

Craft Fair Insight

One of the things I love about this business is just how warm and friendly the other designers and makers can be. I'll be honest, I came into this business a little naive. I had this romantic notion that I would spend my days making beautiful things hopeful that people would like them and want to buy them. Six months into this and I've found that there is so much more involved if I'm going to make a living doing the thing I love. At the moment I feel like I need three of me – the designer/maker, the social media guru and the sales strategist/manager. Each feels like a full time job in itself, and I am working to find a balance between the three that will lead to a successful business.

Yesterday I was at the Maker's Market in Spinningfields. A great event that is really well organised, hugely successful in various locations and generally has a lovely, chilled out and friendly feel to it. I was quietly optimistic that armed with my new designs and the excellent location that this would be the event where I would see the financial benefit to all my hard work.


I'm a little sad to say this wasn't the case for me. The money is not the thing that made me change career and do this, and yesterday I was reminded that there is so much more than selling that makes this job worth while. Don't get me wrong – getting the mortgage and bills paid needs to take priority – but becoming massively wealthy isn't my driver.

I was really lucky to have two fabulous stalls next to me: Catlyn Italian Gifts, and Rhubarb. When a gust of wind sent my jewellery display flying off the table followed by the dramatic sound of glass smashing and my stock strewn across the floor, these wonderful ladies came running to my rescue armed with carrier bags for the glass shards. They didn't hesitate to get in there and start picking the jewellery out from amongst the glass with me. In a way this was a great ice breaker (haha) as it lead to a conversation about my stall layout and within minutes, they had come to my rescue again providing a table cloth and words of wisdom for how to optimise my selling space. Within 5 minutes, they helped me to completely strip down my table, revamp it and get the stock in place.

I've done a few craft fairs now, and while there's no guarantee on how the day goes for anyone, I was starting to get a little disheartened about my humble sales levels. At first I wondered whether it was my creations, but feedback around these has been really positive, so I'm finally confident that my makes are beautiful. But something was definitely missing, and as it turns out; how beautiful my creations are isn't the full story. The way they're packaged and presented has a huge impact on whether people actually commit to buying them. So today I will be scouring pintrest for inspiration and with the great tips from yesterday, redesigning my stall.

I want to say thank you to Jo at Rhubarb for coming to my rescue so quickly and the words of wisdom and laughs. And a massive thanks to Catrina from Catlyn for your honesty and the much needed constructive feedback that I was desperate for [as well as the loan of the beautiful table cloth and the scarf when my lips turned blue from the cold :-) ]. This is why I love my job! Not many industries have the supportive and generous souls who want to see others succeed alongside them and yesterday was a great reminder that despite the occasional money worries, this is most definitely the right career for me.

More information about these three great business can be found via the following links:

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Enchanted Nymph Ltd. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig